1910’S On February 22, 1912, thirty-two women held the first meeting of the Federation of Women which was to become the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. Mrs. Julia Vernon was the first President. Hannah Milhaus Nixon was a founding member. Her son Richard was the first child born to a member of the Woman’s Club. These early pioneers beautified the City by planting trees, naming streets, and helping to bring electricity to Yorba Linda. The Gardening Section was chosen to landscape the new Pacific Electric Train Station in Yorba Linda. They joined the Orange County Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1913.
1920’S A Club House was built and dedicated on May 9, 1922. At that time a box of Club papers and documents was hidden in a crevice of the fireplace. The box contained the history of the Club, the original copy of the minutes from the first meeting, a copy of the Club’s six Year Books, the current issues of the LA Times & Yorba Linda Star, a copy of the July 20-21 Yorba Linda Star containing the obituary of Mrs. Julia Vernon, and a copy of poems by Mary Allen Keller (a Club member who passed away in 1920). The Club House was used for Club meetings and events. It was also used by many other organizations. In 1924 Yorba Linda joined the State Federation of Women’s Clubs. This was the same year that Mrs. E. E. Knight, a past Club President, became President of the Orange County Federation of Women’s Clubs. She became President of the Southern Federation of Women in 1925 and the State chair of Bird and Wild Life in 1928.
1930’S The Club’s main fundraiser, a Flower Show, first started on May 5, 1930. In 1938 a Junior section was formed for women between 16 and 35 years of age. The Club Garden Section improved the landscaping of the new fire station. On March 3, 1938, the Santa Ana River flooded. The Club House was used as a refugee center for flood victims. World War II started in September of 1939.
1940’S On December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor was bombed and the United Stated entered the War. The Club House was used for draft registration, blood bank, and Red Cross work. The Club celebrated its 30th Anniversary in February, 1942. The mortgage on the Club House was paid off and on May 25, 1943 the Club held an impressive ceremony to burn the mortgage. Besides the spring Flower show, a fall Farmers Market fundraiser was introduced in 1947.
1950’S In 1950 the Club joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. The Club formed a choral group called the ‘Lindaliers” in 1952. They wore rose colored blouses and long black skirts when performing at Club and City events. A city wide open discussion on the pros and cons of incorporation of the town of Yorba Linda was held in the Club House in December, 1956.
1960’S In 1960, Yorba Linda won the Orange Districts Richfield Award for landscaping the new Yorba Linda library. The Club celebrated its 50th Anniversary in February, 1962. Charter member, Mrs. Hannah Nixon was present. A leather bound history of the Club and oil paintings of the first two Presidents were presented to the Club. The City of Yorba Linda incorporated in 1967. That same year the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club was instrumental in having the City designated as a Bird Sanctuary. Today our Club pin is worn on a felt bird.
1970’S Membership was declining and the cost of keeping up a Club House was rising. A committee was formed to work with the City of Yorba Linda to accept the donation of the Clubhouse and land to be used as a Community Center. The deed was signed in June and the Club House was designated as a Community Center on October 11, 1975. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club had use of the new Community Center for meetings and events. On Friday, November 19, 1976 members were preparing for the annual Farmers Market, now called the Yorbazaar. Late that evening the Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire at the Club House. By the time they arrived, the building was fully engulfed in flames and a total loss. The City of Yorba Linda provided the Yorba Linda Public Library Multipurpose Room for Club meetings. This marked the end of the annual Flower Show. A large airport was being proposed for Chino Hills. Yorba Linda residents were not happy about planes flying over the City. Yorba Linda’s designation as a Bird Sanctuary was one reason that the airport was dropped.
1980’S Club members continued with the Yorbazaar fundraiser until 1985 when it was eliminated for a Fashion Show. In the eighties, the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club made donations for the Restoration of the Statue of Liberty and the Save the Redwoods Foundation. February, 1987 marked the Club’s 75th Anniversary. The celebration included a Tea and an award from the City of Yorba Linda declaring the month of March as the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club month. The Junior Woman’s Club disbanded. Huell Howser, of Videolog on the PBS Channel, was a guest speaker at a Club meeting. A Night Section was formed for working women. Their first Club meeting was held on November 7, 1989.
1990’S Eight members became docents at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Birthplace which opened in July, 1990. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club donated a plaque to the Nixon Library in honor of Charter Member Hannah Nixon. The plaque was placed on a bench at the Birthplace. A dedication ceremony was held on March 2, 1992. The new Yorba Linda Community Center was dedicated on February 12, 1994. It included the “Club Room” which had a meeting area, kitchen and large storage closet for the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. The very first Craft Fair was held on Sunday, November 19, 1995. Today the Craft Fair is held in the Spring and Fall and is our main fundraiser.
2000’S The Club Sewing Group was formed in 2002. Their first project was making comfort pillows. Now they also make quilts and turtle pillows for the Painted Turtle Camp, hospital gowns, bibs and wheel chair bags for Hospice Care, and trauma bears that are given to Fire and Police Stations for children in need of comfort. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club sponsored its first Relay for Life Team in 2004. After six years of both a daytime and evening General Meetings, the daytime meeting was eliminated in 2005. That year, Club member Norma Keating was named Yorba Linda Citizen of the Year and in 2007 Julie Astle was Yorba Linda’s Citizen of the Year.
2010’S The tradition of displaying Club memorabilia and sewing group items at the Yorba Linda Public Library in the month of February starting in 2010. We began our yearly Summer Picnic in the Park to share a pot luck meal and friendship. Something wonderful was happening to the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. Membership was increasing and we outgrew our Club Room. General Meetings are now held in a larger room at our Community Center. To support the Orange District Project honoring the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) in WWII, the Club published a W.A.S.P. Cookbook containing seventy-five recipes. Proceeds were contributed to Orange District for the W.A.S.P. plaque and monument unveiled in November, 2011 to pay tribute to the 12 Women Air Force Pilots from Orange County. This year long time Club member, Liz Mead passed away at the age of 100. The Liz Mead Memorial Candle was created in her honor and is displayed at a General Meeting when a member passes away. On February 19, 2012 the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club celebrated its 100th Anniversary. Over 100 guests attended and were treated to a wonderful program sharing 100 years of Club History and the popular music of each decade from 1912 to 2012. June 26, 2013 was a dedication ceremony for the first 4 “Yorba Linda is a Bird Sanctuary” signs placed at entrances to the City of Yorba Linda. There are now 8 signs. Club member Lynne Yauger was the 2014 Yorba Linda Citizen of the Year. The Club held a community fundraising event on June 6, 2015 for Honor Flight Southland which takes World War II Veterans to visit the WWII Memorial in Washington D.C. Seventeen WWII Veterans were honored, and $6,000 was raised. The Club sponsored a Boy Scout Eagle Project to provide three benches along the Yorba Linda walking trails. A dedication ceremony took place on September 30, 2015. This year ended with the rededication in December of a new plaque to honor founding member Hannah Milhous Nixon at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Birthplace.