Club Name: Yorba Linda Woman’s Club Location of Clubhouse: 4951 Valencia Avenue, Yorba Linda [building burned in 1976 and was demolished]
Dollar a Decade WHRC Fundraiser 🖋 Lynne Yauger, 2016-2017 Project Chair
Womens' History Project 🖋 Lynne Yauger, 2016-2017 Program Chair
YLWC Clubhouse History
YLWC Club History
Dollar a Decade WHRC Fundraiser
Womens' History "Firstie" Project
The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club History🖋 Lynne Yauger, 2016-2017 Project Chair
1910’S On February 22, 1912, thirty-two women held the first meeting of the Federation of Women which was to become the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. Mrs. Julia Vernon was the first President. Hannah Milhaus Nixon was a founding member. Her son Richard was the first child born to a member of the Woman’s Club. These early pioneers beautified the City by planting trees, naming streets, and helping to bring electricity to Yorba Linda. The Gardening Section was chosen to landscape the new Pacific Electric Train Station in Yorba Linda. They joined the Orange County Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1913.
1920’S A Club House was built and dedicated on May 9, 1922. At that time a box of Club papers and documents was hidden in a crevice of the fireplace. The box contained the history of the Club, the original copy of the minutes from the first meeting, a copy of the Club’s six Year Books, the current issues of the LA Times & Yorba Linda Star, a copy of the July 20-21 Yorba Linda Star containing the obituary of Mrs. Julia Vernon, and a copy of poems by Mary Allen Keller (a Club member who passed away in 1920). The Club House was used for Club meetings and events. It was also used by many other organizations. In 1924 Yorba Linda joined the State Federation of Women’s Clubs. This was the same year that Mrs. E. E. Knight, a past Club President, became President of the Orange County Federation of Women’s Clubs. She became President of the Southern Federation of Women in 1925 and the State chair of Bird and Wild Life in 1928.
1930’S The Club’s main fundraiser, a Flower Show, first started on May 5, 1930. In 1938 a Junior section was formed for women between 16 and 35 years of age. The Club Garden Section improved the landscaping of the new fire station. On March 3, 1938, the Santa Ana River flooded. The Club House was used as a refugee center for flood victims. World War II started in September of 1939.
1940’S On December 7, 1941 Pearl Harbor was bombed and the United Stated entered the War. The Club House was used for draft registration, blood bank, and Red Cross work. The Club celebrated its 30th Anniversary in February, 1942. The mortgage on the Club House was paid off and on May 25, 1943 the Club held an impressive ceremony to burn the mortgage. Besides the spring Flower show, a fall Farmers Market fundraiser was introduced in 1947.
1950’S In 1950 the Club joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. The Club formed a choral group called the ‘Lindaliers” in 1952. They wore rose colored blouses and long black skirts when performing at Club and City events. A city wide open discussion on the pros and cons of incorporation of the town of Yorba Linda was held in the Club House in December, 1956.
1960’S In 1960, Yorba Linda won the Orange Districts Richfield Award for landscaping the new Yorba Linda library. The Club celebrated its 50th Anniversary in February, 1962. Charter member, Mrs. Hannah Nixon was present. A leather bound history of the Club and oil paintings of the first two Presidents were presented to the Club. The City of Yorba Linda incorporated in 1967. That same year the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club was instrumental in having the City designated as a Bird Sanctuary. Today our Club pin is worn on a felt bird.
1970’S Membership was declining and the cost of keeping up a Club House was rising. A committee was formed to work with the City of Yorba Linda to accept the donation of the Clubhouse and land to be used as a Community Center. The deed was signed in June and the Club House was designated as a Community Center on October 11, 1975. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club had use of the new Community Center for meetings and events. On Friday, November 19, 1976 members were preparing for the annual Farmers Market, now called the Yorbazaar. Late that evening the Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire at the Club House. By the time they arrived, the building was fully engulfed in flames and a total loss. The City of Yorba Linda provided the Yorba Linda Public Library Multipurpose Room for Club meetings. This marked the end of the annual Flower Show. A large airport was being proposed for Chino Hills. Yorba Linda residents were not happy about planes flying over the City. Yorba Linda’s designation as a Bird Sanctuary was one reason that the airport was dropped.
1980’S Club members continued with the Yorbazaar fundraiser until 1985 when it was eliminated for a Fashion Show. In the eighties, the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club made donations for the Restoration of the Statue of Liberty and the Save the Redwoods Foundation. February, 1987 marked the Club’s 75th Anniversary. The celebration included a Tea and an award from the City of Yorba Linda declaring the month of March as the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club month. The Junior Woman’s Club disbanded. Huell Howser, of Videolog on the PBS Channel, was a guest speaker at a Club meeting. A Night Section was formed for working women. Their first Club meeting was held on November 7, 1989.
1990’S Eight members became docents at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Birthplace which opened in July, 1990. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club donated a plaque to the Nixon Library in honor of Charter Member Hannah Nixon. The plaque was placed on a bench at the Birthplace. A dedication ceremony was held on March 2, 1992. The new Yorba Linda Community Center was dedicated on February 12, 1994. It included the “Club Room” which had a meeting area, kitchen and large storage closet for the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. The very first Craft Fair was held on Sunday, November 19, 1995. Today the Craft Fair is held in the Spring and Fall and is our main fundraiser.
2000’S The Club Sewing Group was formed in 2002. Their first project was making comfort pillows. Now they also make quilts and turtle pillows for the Painted Turtle Camp, hospital gowns, bibs and wheel chair bags for Hospice Care, and trauma bears that are given to Fire and Police Stations for children in need of comfort. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club sponsored its first Relay for Life Team in 2004. After six years of both a daytime and evening General Meetings, the daytime meeting was eliminated in 2005. That year, Club member Norma Keating was named Yorba Linda's Citizen of the Year and in 2007 Julie Astle was Yorba Linda’s Citizen of the Year.
2010’S The tradition of displaying Club memorabilia and sewing group items at the Yorba Linda Public Library in the month of February starting in 2010. We began our yearly Summer Picnic in the Park to share a pot luck meal and friendship. Something wonderful was happening to the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. Membership was increasing and we outgrew our Club Room. General Meetings are now held in a larger room at our Community Center. To support the Orange District Project honoring the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) in WWII, the Club published a W.A.S.P. Cookbook containing seventy-five recipes. Proceeds were contributed to Orange District for the W.A.S.P. plaque and monument unveiled in November, 2011 to pay tribute to the 12 Women Air Force Pilots from Orange County. This year long time Club member, Liz Mead passed away at the age of 100. The Liz Mead Memorial Candle was created in her honor and is displayed at a General Meeting when a member passes away. On February 19, 2012 the Yorba Linda Woman’s Club celebrated its 100th Anniversary. Over 100 guests attended and were treated to a wonderful program sharing 100 years of Club History and the popular music of each decade from 1912 to 2012. June 26, 2013 was a dedication ceremony for the first 4 “Yorba Linda is a Bird Sanctuary” signs placed at entrances to the City of Yorba Linda. There are now 8 signs. Club member Lynne Yauger was the 2014 Yorba Linda Citizen of the Year. The Club held a community fundraising event on June 6, 2015 for Honor Flight Southland which takes World War II Veterans to visit the WWII Memorial in Washington D.C. Seventeen WWII Veterans were honored, and $6,000 was raised. The Club sponsored a Boy Scout Eagle Project to provide three benches along the Yorba Linda walking trails. A dedication ceremony took place on September 30, 2015. This year ended with the re-dedication in December of a new plaque to honor founding member Hannah Milhous Nixon at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Birthplace.
The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club is an active group of women who are committed to improving our community and ourselves.
YLWC Clubhouse History 🖋 Lynne Yauger, 2016-2017 Project Chair
(originally located at 4951 Valencia Avenue)
On February 22, 1912, thirty-two women held the first meeting of the Federation of Women which became Yorba Linda Woman’s Club. Hannah Milhaus Nixon was a founding member; her son Richard was the first child born to a member of the club. These early pioneers beautified the City by creating parks, planting trees, naming streets, and helped bring electricity to Yorba Linda. They joined the Orange County Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1913, the California Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1924, and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1950.
April 11, 1917 was a red-letter day for the ladies of Yorba Linda Woman’s Club when the club President announced they had purchased a $500 Liberty Bond. In 1921, the Liberty Bond was used to purchase a lot on the corner of Yorba Linda Blvd. and Valencia Avenue. In 1922, a committee was appointed for the purpose of building a clubhouse. A blanket mortgage of $2,500 was secured and members’ husbands donated an additional $360. On May 9, 1922, the clubhouse was dedicated with 65 members and many guests present. At that time, a box of Club papers and documents was hidden in a crevice of the fireplace. The box contained the history of Yorba Linda Woman’s Club, the original copy of minutes from the first meeting, the club’s first six Year Books, current issues of the Los Angeles Times & Yorba Linda Star, a copy of the July 20, 1922 edition of the Yorba Linda Star containing the obituary of Mrs. Julia Vernon (the club’s first president), and a copy of poems written by club member Mary Allen Keller, who passed away in 1920.
The clubhouse was used for club meetings and events. It was also used by many other local organizations. The estimated value of the clubhouse was $4,700. In 1932, when the local Boy Scout troop could not find a men’s group in the community to sponsor them, Yorba Linda Woman’s Club sponsored the Scouts and their meetings were held in the clubhouse. Over the years since then, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Campfire Girls and 4H Clubs have all used the clubhouse for their meetings. In 1934, the club spent $486 for renovations, including a new kitchen. On March 3, 1938, the Santa Ana River flooded and families lost their homes and loved ones. The clubhouse was used as a refugee center for many flood victims. After World War II began in September of 1939, the clubhouse was used for draft registration, blood bank, and Red Cross work. In 1939 the newly formed Junior Section donated hardwood floors as their gift to the club. In 1942, the loan on the clubhouse was paid off and a candle-lighting celebration ceremony was held around the fireplace. As the mortgage document was burned, members joined hands to sing “Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow.”
The clubhouse received a $10,000 renovation in 1971 with money raised over a period of years. But alas, there were problems on the horizon. More women were working and had less time for Club activities. Many members were becoming older and less active, some members moved away, and it was becoming a real hardship for the few active members to maintain and support the clubhouse.
After much soul searching, the club’s board of directors and the membership voted to present the clubhouse to the City of Yorba Linda as a community center. However, the club retained the right to use the new community center for future club activities. The clubhouse was dedicated as a community center on October 11, 1975.
A year later, on November 19, 1976, members of the club were preparing for an event and decorating the community center. Just before midnight, the volunteer fire department responded to a fire call at the clubhouse. When they arrived the structure was totally engulfed in flames. Firefighters were able to salvage one item: a bowl of potato salad that had been in the refrigerator. After the fire, the City of Yorba Linda provided meeting places for club meetings until the new community center was built and dedicated on February 12, 1994. The new building included a lovely space called the “Club Room” for use by Yorba Linda Woman’s Club, with a meeting area, kitchen and large storage closet.
From 1922 to 1976, the clubhouse had been in constant use by club for meetings and events, as well as civic leaders, senior citizens, the Yorba Linda Chamber of Commerce, scout troops, and many other organizations. In times of crisis, the clubhouse provided a place for citizens to serve our country and a refuge for those in need. The Yorba Linda Woman’s Club clubhouse played an important role in the City’s history.
The early Club Women had an active gardening group. In the teen years of the 1900’s they landscaped the new Pacific Electric Train Station in Yorba Linda, in the twenties members planted trees along the streets of town, in the thirties the club improved the landscaping of the new fire station, and in 1960 Yorba Linda Woman’s Club won the Orange Districts Richfield Award for landscaping the new library.
The City of Yorba Linda incorporated in 1967. That same year, Yorba Linda Woman’s Club was instrumental in having the City designated as a bird sanctuary. For many years, our club mascot has been the Western Bluebird. In 2013, the club’s efforts resulted in the City placing eight highly-visible signs at several entrances into the City which state “Yorba Linda is a Bird Sanctuary.”
From the beginning, club meetings were held during the day. An evening meeting section formed in 1989 to attract younger working women when club membership started to decline. In 2005, the General Meeting was changed to evenings. Today we have more than 100 members.
Eight Club members became Charter Docents at the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Birthplace when it opened in July, 1990. Because Hannah Milhaus Nixon was a founding member, the club donated a plaque to the Nixon Library in her honor. There was a dedication ceremony was held on March 2, 1992 and the plaque was placed on a bench at the birthplace.
On February 19, 2012, Yorba Linda Woman’s Club celebrated its 100th Anniversary. Over 100 guests attended and were treated to a wonderful program sharing 100 years of Club History and the popular music of each decade from 1912 to 2012.
Today, Yorba Linda Woman’s Club continues to serve the community. We support students by offering scholarships, holding a student art contest, and sponsoring two students to attend the Hugh O’Brian Youth Foundation seminar. We continue to have a team in the local Relay for Life.
We have supported country’s veterans in many ways. Several years ago, the club published a cookbook honoring the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) in WWII. Proceeds went toward a plaque to pay tribute to the 12 Women Air Force Pilots in Orange County. In 2015, we held a community fundraising event for Honor Flight Southland which takes World War II Veterans to visit the WWII Memorial in Washington DC. 17 WWII Veterans were honored at the event and $6,000 was raised. The club’s Sew Kind sewing group was formed in 2002, with their first project being making comfort pillows. These industrious women keep busy making quilts and pillows for the Paul Newman Painted Turtle Camp for children, hospital gowns, wheel chair bags for hospice care, and trauma bears for local fire and police departments to give children in need of comfort. The future looks bright, indeed, for Yorba Linda Woman’s Club as it continues to grow and take on more projects to benefit our community.
This picture of Founding members of Yorba Linda Woman’s Club was taken in 1913. Hannah Milhaus Nixon is seated wearing a black jacket and baby Richard Nixon is being held by the first Club President, Mrs. Julia Vernon.
Womens' History "Firstie" Project 🖋 Lynne Yauger, 2016-2017 Project Chair